Sunday, September 16, 2012

Week in Review week 2 2012-2013

This week was a weird week for us.  We finally got the rental car, drove to pick up our insurance check, did shopping required, set up a new home for the salamander, did a ton of swaps, worked on renovations and basically had a limited school week.

The big kids finished off lesson 1 in mapping the world through art by creating an edible Babylonian map.  Well technically they were to make a map, instead they made cunieform.  The youngers joined in with the left over dough and just made random pictures.

Their online classes went well.  H's class discussed Aesop's Androcles and though he was really scared to talk into the mic he did a great job participating.  A and C first had their intro to great books class where they discussed the first 8 chapters of the Hobbit.  They are to finish off the book for next class.  The next day they had their poetry class. A was not as into that one as C but they both seemed to get something out of it, and participated in the discussion surrounding the poems studied.

While out yesterday running errands we saw a moose which the kids were very thrilled about.  They are drawing and writing about it in their nature journals today.

After we had picked up the rental car (not easy when the closest rental place is 20 minutes up the highway in another town and we were here without a car, and they don't have pick up for out of town clients), we picked up the materials needed for the slamandar to have a better home than what he was in last week.  He seems to really enjoy it. 

Art this week the kids used a crayola glow in the dark sand art kit.  Very cool, but very messy.  Every surface and person near the table was glowing by the end.

Swap-bot was fun this week.  I got my second package for the candy swap and 4 postcards.  I sent out a stack of postcards and packages as well.  I also joined postcrossing this week so that will be bringing in even more postcards.
We also picked up the large rabbit cage that we will be transforming into a tortoise table and new hanging plants for the livingroom. 

Here are some pictures from this week.  Next week we will be back to a proper school schedule as we will not have nearly as many errands to tend to.
















11 comments:

  1. oh wow these are really cool crafts(: I can't wait to see more posts from you

    kcody03 Follow me #5

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like you had a Busy week! Cute little salamander!

    Suneyflower follow me swap

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting. love how all of A C H I have red hair or in it.

    follow me #5
    bluecrayons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That was our way of snubbing our nose at the public school rules lol

      Delete
  4. Very beautiful realizations of your children, me even, I like making craft with my children. Your salamander is too much..
    Thank you for your message on my blog.
    (Aesa to swap-bot)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like fun! I like those postcards you received! :)
    -Jungpo (follow me #5)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are homeschooling, swapping on top of being a mom..you are one supermom!!!
    Geng (genggay)
    Follow me #5 (swapbot)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even as an adult, the glow in the dark sand looks pretty fun.
    I love they made cuneiform, I got to see some tablets with it in August when I was in Seattle. It's neat.

    Stephanie - smadronia
    follow me #5

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so wonderful that you are homeschooling and posting of the adventures it brings. Your kids are so artistic! And the salamander is cute! On a family trip to Canada many years ago we had the luck to see a moose family crossing the road, I'd never imagined they would be that large.
    Liz (Lizziefx - Foloow Me 5)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like your children are having a good life. They're very lucky. Love your blog, hope to read it often. Thanks for pointing out to me that I missed it.

    ~ Dianne

    ReplyDelete